7/30/2009

Money - Taboo

The comment by Frugal Dreamer , on my post called Conversations About Money, got me thinking:

"I've always been bothered how money is such a taboo subject for most - it's cool you could relate to your boss like that!"

Why is money such a taboo? I beleive that has been written about a LOT, I thought about answering the question - what can we do to change it?

Well as PF bloggers, I beleive that we have already started knocking down the Money Taboo barriers. Seomthing in us, something in our upbrining or what we've experienced (nature? nature?, im inclined to believe nuture) - has elimited money as a taboo of ours.

I am going to try to have at least one conversation about money each week. The conversation should be with someone who I wouldn't ordinarily speak with about money. When I'm successfull, I'll post about it and let you know how it's going.



3 comments:

  1. I think that's a great idea! I am really looking forward to seeing how this goes for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that money is a huge taboo for most people. My parents wouldn't talk to me about money at all growing up. I didn't know how much they made, how much they spent, how much the house was worth, etc
    Now that I'm their financial planner I got to know EVERYTHING about their finances and I have to admit, its pretty scary.
    I would highly recommend joining a Gail group if you can find one out in your area. I'm the leader of one out here in Toronto and its been great getting everything out into the open about finances and be able to help some other women around my age. Its been a great experience. If you can't find one, start one!

    Good luck! :D Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good idea. I hate talking about money, even with my parents, because it is hard to do without sounding judgemental of others choices. Money is all tied up with values and emotions and so much more!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers