8/18/2014

Getting a Will

Yes, yes we have finally found a lawyer and set up an initial appointment.

We'll be looking at $700 + GST for $735 for Wills, Power of Attorney and Personal Directives. I have been advocating for both family and friends to have these documents in place...in fact, I have even used the words 'it's the greatest gift that you can give to your loved ones'....and 'it's a selfish thing not to take care of things so your loved ones don't have to'

I've said it so many times that I've been starting to feel like a bit of a hypocrite.

My Great-Aunt is an amazing example of how to stay on top of these....end-of-life documents, for lack of a more rosy-way to put it.  She reviews and updates them  at least on an annual basis.  One of my grandmothers on the other hand has no will, no poa, no personal directive...nothing.  She also is on the slippery down-hill slope of dementia and so there is no one who can legally speak on her behalf...now, I say legally because while I can't speak on her behalf I do advocate for her at every opportunity - but that's a story for another day.

It'll be a few weeks before the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed, but I sure can tell you that it feels great to get it started.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Jessie! I've been bugging my daughter and SIL that they need to do a will, especially now that they have a little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It feels good to be getting some of these big life things done!

      Delete
  2. Good for you Jessie! We will be getting ours done very soon as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers