11/12/2010

Quick Update

The last few days have been a bit of a whirlwind.  Jordan's grandmother passed away on Tuesday and we had to find a way to get him to her funeral for Monday.  I was going to go with him, but flights for both of us would have been upwards of $4,000-$5,000 - so it wasn't feasible.  He is on his way now, caught a flight this morning up to NWT.  I'm thankful for our emergency fund, but reminded that it simply isn't big enough to cover real emergencies.  Sure, $500-$1,000 is good for day to day small things that come up - but not for something like this.

After Christmas, I think we'll look into getting this organised a bit better.

In the meantime, my family is in town to do some major Christmas shopping for a few days.  I don't really have a list guiding me this year, but I'm hoping to get some shopping done and cross a few people of the list.

I hope you all have a good weekend!

~Jessie

6 comments:

  1. Airlines offer a bereavement price. You specifically need to call the airline to inquire on it. It might not be to late. If you didn't get the bereavement rate, I would definitely call the airline.

    When my husband's grandmother passed, we both received the bereavement rate which was around half of what a regular last minute flight would have cost.

    I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Condolences on your loss. It is a tough thing. Good for you guys for realizing that the emergency fund needs to be looked at and more accurately planned for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry for your loss :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all, it will be a difficult time but it's good that Jordan is able to be with his family, even if I can't be there too.

    He did get some discounts for bereavement and through some other benefit channels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for you and Jordan. That is unfortunate that you both couldn't go, but great that he could. And kudos to him for being of the presence of mind to get the bereavement fare.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers