1/24/2011

Update

I feel like I've been going at 160kph for the last few weeks!

Since Christmas we've kicked wedding planning into high gear and while we set out to spend little to nothing this month, we adopted a dog and realized that when you're not eating out - you spend a lot more on groceries!

I still think that we're in pretty good shape, but we did spend more then we intended to.  We went out a couple of times with friends and some of Jordan's family came into town as well - so there was a tad bit of eating out.

I'm using an online program to design the invitations/insert cards/RSVP's - which I thought I was done until I showed a draft to a couple of people.  I got some great ideas, but had to go back to the drawing board in some sense.  I think they are really coming together now and am excited to get them to the printer's next month (why next month? because I'm really trying to spend nothing else this month).

I think when I lag in writing here, I lag in keeping track of our spending - need to nip that in the bud!

Another change that is coming up is switching from CIBC to ING Thrive chequing.  We're so tired of bank fee's and this move with save us about $467/year.  It's going to be a huge pain to make all the changes, but worth it in the end.  I'm going to transfer a couple thousand from our house fund into the new chequing to as a placeholder in case everything doesn't line up.  I'll then move the money back once we know all the automatic withdrawal's are coming from the correct account.  We'll also have to leave $1,000 in the old account for the same reason.

Is anyone else switching to Thrive?

Okay - I think that's the update for now.  I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and am going to try to slow down a bit (like that's going to happen, ha!).

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's huge savings, just by switching from CIBC to ING Thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do make the switch to Thrive, please let us know how it goes! I'm considering making the switch as well or at least opening an account there for a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Are you using Printable Press for the invites? If not, maybe they're worth checking out if you still need to go back to the drawing board? http://www.printablepress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've opened a Thrive account and my only complaint is that there isn't a no-fee ATM nearby my house - the closest one is 3 subway stops away. A tad inconvenient at times, but otherwise no complains thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Dreamin - that's what we thought too!

    @ payingmyself - I defn. will keep you all posted!

    @ payingmyself - we're using http://www.purpletrail.com. It only costs about $6 to get a high res pdf of the invite we create.

    @Big City - thankfully we don't use an ATM too often, so hopefully it won't come up. It's good to hear you have no other compalaints so far...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an insane amount for your bank to be costing you!

    I'm thinking about switching mine, but only because I can get a decent interest rate elsewhere. I don't suffer any fees or charges. I've had the odd charge here and there when scary amounts came off my bank when I was younger and stupid... but that never happens now. I can't imagine my bank costing me so much money a year. Congrats on making the right decision!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers