5/08/2013

The ask..


If you've been following along the past few weeks, you know I've been exploring the work you can do before asking for a raise - so that you are armed with facts, rather than feelings.  If you missed them, these were the first three posts in this series:

#1: Compensation Philosophy and Knowing if Your a Good Performer
#2: Market Research Strategies
#3: A Summary of Salary Research

The last part of this process, is actually asking your manager for the raise.  Armed with the knowledge of your performance and your market research - how do you actually present this to a supervisor?

Here's how:

  1. Practise - the first time you ask for a raise shouldn't be when you meet with your manager.
  2. If you don't already have a time booked, book some time - 30-45 minutes.  You want to approach this as professionally as possible.  If you know your manager has more energy/patience/time - pick that period during the day.
  3. Speaking of professionalism, on this day, dress it.
  4. Start the conversation light - thank them for making time for you
  5. ASK.
Okay, so perhaps you're looking for more information then just 'ask'.  Here is a bit of a script that Jordan can use as he's the example I've been referencing.

"Hi (boss man),

Thanks for taking the time to meet with me today - I know it's been a busy time in the shop.

{Boss Man Responds: Yup, it sure has been}

I've really enjoyed taking on XYZ responsibility, and getting XYZ project off the ground.  I really feel like I was able to contribute to the success of XYZ.

{Boss Man: I've appreciated all your hard work lately}

I wanted to meet with you today to talk about my salary.  It's that time of the year again, and based on all of the work we've been doing together, I think my performance merits an increase.  I've also done some research and I think that an increase of $1.00/hour would bring my salary up to market competitiveness.

{Boss Man: We gave you a big increase last year, and the market hasn't changed that much year over year.  Why do you think you're worth it.}

Well, it's just as we've said.  I took on XYZ responsibility this year, which led to XYZ proficiencies and XYZ in cost savings for the shop all around.   I've been your go to in the shop when you've been away and have been training so and so which has increased his ability to do his job well too.  I also continue to add value to the shop through my recent accreditation in Parts Management through XYZ.  With the recent change to the structure of the company, I've been a resources to so and so and so and so and the number of off-hour calls on my personal cell phone have increased.  The market hasn't changed much, but the cost of living did change by about 1.5%, which makes a difference when you add up small increments over the years.

{Boss Man: Alright, I hear what you're saying and I agree, you're an asset to the shop.  Leave it with me, and I'll see what I can do.}

Thank you.  I really appreciate you looking into this for me.  When you do, I'm wondering if you can also have a look at a work cell phone for me.  I've started taking a number of off hours calls over the weekends and while I'm happy to do that, It does take time out of my day to support our customers and the service center.  If a separate work phone isn't available, I would also be interested in talking about compensation in lieu. 
{Boss Man: My phone calls have gone up too, alright - I'll get back to you in a few days.}

Thanks Boss Man.

__ end scene.

Okay.  So it might not go that smoothly necessarily - but hopefully you get the flow.  It's important to be clear, share your facts and get the point.  Don't hold back with sharing what you've done well, and who else you might have helped helped over the last year - it's your job to make sure your manager knows how amazing you are.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers