2/02/2016

Employer Paid Top Up

How did 15 weeks go by already?

Back in October, when I was waiting for Little Man to arrive, I mentioned that one of my benefits was a salary top up.  When on an eligible maternity leave, and approved for Employment Insurance, my employer tops up a mom's EI benefit to 70% of their salary for 15 weeks.  The idea is to help transition the family from regular salary, down to EI with a 'step'.  It's a huge help!  Normally, the employee must return to work for a minimum of six months after the leave or the benefit must be repaid.

In my case, I don't, because just before my Maternity Leave started, I was laid off.  As part of my termination package, I do not have to repay the benefit.

Not Little Man, but Super Cute!
The last Friday in January marked the end of my top up.  So going forward, it's just EI.  eek!  Good thing the house has sold so we will only have a mortgage payment for the month of February, well, until we buy our new home that is.

2 comments:

  1. It's a bit of a shock to the system when that top-up ends, but I have no doubt that you will adjust really well! I wasn't very careful with my money back when I was on mat leave, so I found it incredibly tough. Enjoy your time with your little guy- they grow so fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! It's been incredible first three months so far.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers