7/03/2014

Taxes! Do Them!

It boggles my mind how many people don't keep their taxes up to date; especially when they have super standard; nothing to write home about taxes to complete.  We're talking a T4, maybe 2 and an RRSP or school deduction.  Seriously.  It's not hard.

It just so happens that the last two activities in Level 4 of My Money, My Choices to get this years tax return done and catch up on any previous years.  Jordan and I are all caught up; but I can't say it's always been that way.

When I met Jordan, we were 19 I think, and he had several years of taxes to do....like 4 or 5.  So, I sat down on his living room floor (tax software wasn't as popular then); and did them all.  I think payment was my choice of movie and he had to cook me dinner.  Though once he got his cheque in; he took me out.

I was floored that he hadn't done them, and really wasn't worried about it; this of course comes from your influences growing up.  Now, I can't say that Jordan gets excited as I do, but he's happy for me to get them done, and happy to get those tax returns every year.  I don't submit them by hand any more, typically I use TurboTax because I have three returns to do (mine, Jordans, and my grandmothers) and my mom and I often share the license for hers too, but I still usually do a practice run pen/paper style just to make sure everything lines up correctly.

1 comment:

  1. I think there are a lot of things like this though. I mean, we're sort of hyper-aware of the "right" things to do regarding finances (including taxes) because we have spreadsheets and emergency fund progress bars, etc. We're kind of odd ducks :) It seems daunting when you're not sure what to do, even if it is simple... that's why H&R Block makes tonnes of money at tax time - everyone is scared to make a mistake!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers